Background: Hitler prided himself on his buildings, the “word in stone.” Munich was the headquarters of the party, and received a major share of his architectural interest. Hitler clearly saw buildings as propaganda. They were designed to impress. These photos come from a book published by the Nazi Party’s publishing firm. The book often was given as a gift by Franz X. Schwarz, the party’s treasurer.
The source: Franz Maier-Hartmann, Die Bauten der NSDAP. in der Hauptstadt der Bewegung(Munich: Zentralverlag der NSDAP., 1942).
|This is the book’s frontpiece, a portrait of Hitler by Horn-Stauffer.|
|This is the “Brown House,” the NSDAP’s headquarters building in Munich. According to the text: “Party members from throughout the Reich will not miss the chance to visit the Brown House while visiting Munich.”|
|This is a picture of the Königsplatz in Munich, where in 1935 two “Honor Temples” were erected for the remains of the sixteen Nazis who died in the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch.|
|This is a close-up of one of the two “Honor Temple” structures.|
|The “Führerbau,” a major party office building in Munich.|
|Hitler’s office in the Munich “Führerbau.”|
|The party’s administration building.|
|A model of the party chancellery.|
Go to the 1933-1945 Page.
Go to the German Propaganda Home Page.